Friday, August 21, 2015

Author Interview (Featured Author week 3)

Hello Luvlies!

I am so excited about this week's post! I was able to interview Julia Keanini, and it was a blast! So with that, lets get started!



Question 1:
What was your inspiration to become an author?
I think I always wanted to be an author, but I never actually told anyone. It kind of felt like the type of dream a little kid would have. Like my sister wanted to be a pop star and I wanted to be an author. I went to college and got a degree (which I’m glad I did), but the degree I chose wasn’t useful unless I went to more school. So at that point, I had to make a decision and I chose to write. Luckily my husband is a saint and the my biggest supporter and I guess the rest is history :)

Question 2:
What is your biggest writing related ‘pet-peeve’?
I honestly don’t think I have one. I love all parts of writing. As I say that I know I sound like such a brown noser, but I really do.

Question 3:
Would you consider writing one of your biggest achievements? How so?
Definitely. Growing up my dad used to tease me about being a quitter. I danced tap, ballet, jazz, hula, tahitian, hip hop. I played the piano, flute, guitar. I had a paper route, babysat, worked at a craft store, movie theater, food establishment. I played softball, basketball, tennis, swam, ran track. All for about a year each (with a few exceptions). I assumed that if I gave something a year, it was enough time to know if I would be great at it. Writing is the only thing that I have stuck it out with. And believe me it took sooo much longer than a year to be any good at it. I would say I wrote at least a million words of crap. But when I kept at it, I learned one of my greatest life lessons. I got better with work and time. Seriously not a lesson I should have learned as a twenty-something, but hey better late than never.

Question 4:
Have you ever based your characters off of someone you know/have met in the real world?
My characters are a hodgepodge of people I know in real life. No one character is the equivalent of one person. My closest character to real life is Jamie’s brother Jake. I have a brother Jake who is just as amazing as Jamie’s brother.

Question 5:
Do you have any funny, strange, or outright odd writing rituals? What are they?
I need absolute quiet to write. Like crazy silence. My son is home from school because it’s summer and lets just say, no writing is happening.

Question 6:
How long have you been writing?
Like I said, pretty much all my life. Seriously, for five to ten years (depending on how serious you think serious is). I’ve been published for four months.

Question 7:
Where do you get your information / ideas for your book(s)?
My main series is from life experiences. I had an eating disorder in high school and I know lots of girls with “bad relationships” with food. I dream up some crazy ones in the shower and as I’m falling  asleep. One came into mind last night that might become my next book (after this first series is done).

Question 8:
What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Play card games, read, exercise, eat, cook, spend time with family, go on social media, swim.

Question 9:
What was one of the biggest things you learned while writing your first novel?
That I’ll need more experience as a writer before I take on a fantasy novel. My first novel was a time travel book that I hope to get back to, but the whole world building on top of writing a great plot, characters, etc. was a little bit too much for me to take on as a novice.

Question 10:
What do your family & friends think of your writing?
I have the GREATEST support system. I wouldn’t be where I am without them. They all love my books and encourage me to continue to write even when I wonder if I’m any good. They all bug me for my next book and I get many annoyed emails if I ever leave a book on a cliffhanger.

Question 11:
What helps you get past writers block the most?
Just writing. Sometimes it takes writing a few hundred words of absolute crap to get on track again.

Question 12:
Is there any news you can share about your next novel?
I just released the prequel to my series in July, Sara’s Story. It’s about a girl who’s in love with an unattainable guy, but won’t lose herself to get him. Sara is a strong character who’s got quite a quick wit.


Thanks so much to Julia to letting me interview her! 
Stay tuned for the surprise post next week!

Much love,


No comments:

Post a Comment