Friday, October 2, 2015

The Reapers Daughter

Hello Luvlies!

Publisher: Booktrope Publishing 
Author: K. M. Randall
Pages: 251
Publication date: May 9, 2015




I've always felt like an average girl...except for my strange relationship with death. You could say I like to court it. Whether I'm soaring through the air as a flyer for Specter University's cheer squad, or speeding down the steepest mountain with only grace and balance keeping me from an icy end, I've 

always needed to feel a rush. But not Death is courting me- in more ways than one. First, there's Rishi, a rogue death deity who has a penchant for annoying me nearly to my grave and who's intense gaze has the power to see right through me. Then there's Hades, who I'd rather had just stayed a myth. Now that he knows I exist, he's not going to leave me alone until I meet the same end as my mother. 

   Oh yeah, did I forget to mention her? I spent my whole life thinking she had died when I was a baby, but now, I've found out she's much more than dead. Fifty years ago, Hades banished my mother form the underworld and took her away her ability to cross over souls- souls that have wandered lost through the world ever since. Now she wants me to clean up the mess. You may have heard of her before... They call her the Grim Reaper.

  To start out, I really loved the idea of this book, I hadn't read a book before that danced on the idea the the Grim Reaper could be a girl, much less have a daughter, which was really fun. I really liked how it was a new topic that at least I haven't seen much in any YA writing. 

  Blake was a fun character to follow through the book, she was very emotional and charismatic. When we first meet her she seems to have it all together and have the perfect life, until everything gets turned upside down, pretty much instantly. After that I really loved to see how well she handled everything. I was almost as if overnight she seemed to transform from this scared little girl, into a mature woman who could handle the weight of the world on her shoulders. You could really see how she was influenced by her mother and how she learned from soul reaping. Though, she never seemed to completely emerge into the dark persona which surrounds the grim reaper. 

  Rishi, was probably one of the most annoying characters I have encountered in a LONG time. But in a good way. He really pushed Blake to look at herself in a new life that she might not have found on her own. But then again, most of the book he had me like this,



But in all seriousness, he was an important character who wasn't too bad. At times you could really feel the tension between Rishi and Blake over her mother, Grim. It was interesting to see it all go down.

I think overall, I really did like the book even if it had a few parts that were disturbing. It definitely does focus on some strong topics, which are hard for anyone to read about but I applaud K. M. Randall for handling it so well. Not only that, but I really enjoyed her ability to show character development and especially emotion where I expected no emotion to be found. I will tell you one thing though, this book it fabulous at making YOUR HEART HURT! I mean really! I tell you, don't get attached! 



Cupcake rating;





*All opinions are my own and do not apply to others, I am open to all opinions.*

As always, leave a comment about what you thought of this review, the book, or what you thin I should review next!

Much love,




No comments:

Post a Comment